Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Letter to the Birthday Girl



Hopey,

How is it possible that a year has passed since we first met? How did you transform from my tiny baby into such a big girl so quickly? Didn't we agree that you would go slow and stay little?

I will not be able to say all that I want in one post- there aren't enough words for me to tell you how special you are or how blessed I am that God chose me to be your Momma. How could you possibly know that I dreamed and prayed for a daughter and God answered with you- and you are more precious and wonderful than I could even have imagined?!?!?

In a year's time you have been a spring day in the middle of a two week blizzard, and a breath of cool air in two months of desert. You have been joy in the midst of sorrow, and riches in a time of want. You were a smile when there were only tears. You are north on a compass that helps me find the direction of what's important.

You are a beauty. No doubt. But your beauty is not in your sweet little wisps of blonde hair, your long eyelashes, or sparkly blue eyes. Your beauty radiates from inside- I believe that God has given you a truly lovely heart. I hope that I can help you learn how to let your little light shine. Not so that people will love you, but so that people will love who made you- so that people will know your light giver.

You have a laugh that is music! Your giggle is contagious. You are so ready to walk but just haven't quite found your feet. You explore the world with joy, you think that there is no greater treasure than digging through your bubba's toys. You love food (that's my girl!) and will try anything. You are slowly growing 5 teeth (on top of your existing 3!) that will expand the foods you can eat. You love following your bubba and imitating him in whatever way is possible. You two are best friends, a prayer answered for Momma. You can say momma, da-da, bubba, dog, and you can mimic so many cute sounds, especially giggling and fake coughing and laughing.

Tunia, my prayer for both you and your brother is that even now, God is revealing himself to you- that you are already starting to know Him and see Him at work. I pray, more than anything, that you will answer Him when He calls someday, that you love Him with all your heart, and that you'll walk with Him all the days of your life. If this is the case, I'll never have to worry. You'll be in hands that are safer than mine could ever be. I hope I can point you in that direction.

I pray that you love others. I hope that people are more precious to you than beauty or stuff. I hope you see needs in others and rush to help.

I pray that God protects you from people, illnesses, and situations that would extinguish your little light. And that God will help me to protect you as well.

Sissy, a very wise man was quoted as saying, "I didn't want perfect children, I just wanted children." (God bless you Joe Don.) And that is so true! I don't expect perfection- but I hope you will be a "try-er". And there is no mistake or flaw that could ever make me stop loving you. Ever.

You are a gift from God. You are all that I could have ever wanted in a daughter. And on your first birthday, I just hope you know that you are special, you are loved so very much, and Lord willing we will celebrate many more happy years together. I hope we make many sweet memories and that I get to be around to watch as you take your first steps, learn, fall in love with all the sweetness life has to offer, and hopefully get to experience being a mommy someday to someone as wonderful as you are.

Happy Birthday, baby. Thank you for being mine.

I love you,
Momma



3 comments:

MinsMomJeJe said...

Oh Mindy, how could we ever have imagined how much sweeter this life would be when "Petunia" came along! You have no idea how totally cloned she is from you, almost a carbon copy. Your Daddy and I never thought God could give us a baby girl as sweet as you are and continue to be to us....Hope's totally in the running, she's stolen our hearts! We love you so much....our hearts are filled with pride and JOY when we watch you & Ryland with Isaac and Hope!

Erin said...

Crying over here! What a precious letter to your little lady.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't planning on crying tonight! Thank you for sharing!