Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thoughts on Stomach Flu:

Thoughts on stomach flu:

1) As a kid you think that being sick is the worst part. As a parent you are on clean up duty as well as having that feeling that you are doomed to start puking at any moment.

2) I feel like an awful mom today. I heard Isaac cry twice in the night for about 45 seconds, then I heard him cough. He's been a little congested so I didn't get up to check on him despite a very strong feeling that I should. I went in to wake him up at 7:45 and found him sleeping in a smelly bed full of puke. I felt terrible that I brushed off my God given motherly instincts in exchange for sleep.

3) Obviously, I am a little frightened that if I get sick it will send me into early labor. That's me, always worrying 10 steps ahead.

4) Even though I am positive that this is a highly contagious bug- how on earth can anyone with a heart deny their child the snuggling & closeness that they need when they are sick? Isaac is in my lap right now & even though it is scary, I have no intentions of moving him. I think mommy snuggles have magic healing powers.

5) I hate puke laundry.

6) I also hate cleaning the crib & bathtub after a pukey baby has wreaked havoc. Lysol is my bff today.

7) He ate french fries last night- let's just say that ANYONE would have been able to figure that one out.

8) If given a choice between a sick kid and work- work wins everytime.

9) Isaac & I are sitting in our loveseat, there are 5 towels under, next to, and around us. I have plenty of catching options if more puke should happen.

10) My mom used to spank my brother because he NEVER made it to the toilet to puke. I bet he did it on purpose. Those who know him will no doubt agree.

11) My dad has only had stomach flu 2 times in he & my mom's 34 year marriage. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry throws up & breaks a 13 year vomit free streak. Dad is a huge baby when he gets sick though, but only puking once every 15 years on average would definitely make it awful when it does happen.

12) I am sentenced to watch only Barney & Sesame Street today. Yuck. We have already watched two "Barteys" and one "Yelmo".

13) Is it possible to scrub off your skin from overwashing your hands? I will test this hypothesis today.

14) I am so grateful that this is just a virus & that my sweet boy isn't chronically ill. My heart goes out to my mommy friends who have been called to mother children that are constantly not well. I admire the strong hearts that God has grown in you to endure the heartbreak of watching your baby not feel well. For me today is a short lived annoyance. I am praying God's blessing on you and your children as you deal with daily difficulty.

15) If you think "don't puke, don't puke, don't puke" over and over and chant it like a mantra will it keep you well?? We'll see.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Mindy, this post is hysterical. And as far as Lane being a sympathy puker, I feel bad for his future wife... :)