Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Get By With a Little Help...

For a grown up like myself, there are lots of figurative giants out in the world- the economy, a mortgage, saving for retirement, college funds, your firstborn heading to kindergarten.

When you are two, there are literal giants- like the big slide on the playground.

Here you stand, 30 inches tall and this behemoth, yellow, curly slide looms over you. It is a literal Colossus at age 2. It may have well been a skyscraper to Hope's little eyes.

I watched something quite beautiful transpire between my kids at the park.

Hope climbed all the way to the top of the jungle gym and looked at me from the top of the slide. I shouted encouragements and promises to catch her from the ground that must have seemed miles away below her. And she climbed her way to the safety of a lower ledge. It wasn't enough for her this time that Momma was there waiting. It was still too risky.

Isaac, a seasoned playground veteran, watched his sister struggle. He slowed down, climbed the where she was and put his hand on the small of her back. He leaned down, like an adult talks to a child and talked to her. He said, "Sis, don't be scared to go down the big slide. It's not scary."

He lead her to the top of the slide, where she stopped, still not quite convinced. Isaac said, "Sissy, you can watch me do it." He slid down and yelled from the bottom, "See sis, I'm a big boy."

She hesitated at the top as Isaac climbed his way back up. He looked at her and said, "C'mon sis, we can do it together."

He patiently helped her sit down and folded his arms and legs around her and helped her slide down. They hit the bottom and he cheered for her, calling her a big girl. She beamed at the praise from her hero. I cheered too, through the tears under my sunglasses and the giant lump in my throat.

They aren't always sweet and encouraging to each other, quite the opposite sometimes, but I hope that long after their Daddy and I are gone that they still love each other, and encourage the other through their fears. It was one of those moments that this Momma never wants to forget.

My cup runneth over.

Even on their sweet days, they still don't pose for Mom's camera.

2 comments:

Erin said...

So sweet!!!

Unknown said...

My pregnant emotions could not handle this.