Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What's In A Name?????

With each passing day I find that there are more things that I wonder about. Today I was thinking about our kiddo's name. Specifically, I was curious about changing our kid's name.

I am pretty torn about how I feel. I have strong arguements (in my own twisted mind) both to change and to keep.

TO CHANGE: In the spirit of a new life and a new family, I think it would be appropriate to give our child a new name. Regardless of old names our baby will be a "Russell". It will take our last name. If we get an infant, most likely we will give it a name.

TO KEEP: Out of respect for our child's birth parents who gave it life, it may be good to keep the child's name and just add Russell to the end of it. I am going to research but I wonder if it would have any long-lasting negative effects if we change the name of a toddler? I also wonder how the child would feel later in life if we gave a new name.

I was talking to my brother about this. He took it very seriously, and lovingly told me that boy or girl, we should name our child Gurt. So from this post on, we will be referring to our child as Gurt. Because no matter what name we get whether it be Mulva, Eustace, Vergil, or Geraldine- nothing will compare to Gurt and it will remind me to be thankful and to be more concerned with love than with names.

Prayer Focus: Please continue to pray for Gurt and that our contractor will call soon. Also keep our parenting classes in mind, pray that we learn things that will benefit us and help us to be the best we can be.

We love you all - thanks again for your inspiration Lane.

Mindy

PS- I love tax refunds- thank you Jesus for an unexpected blessing.

Just for fun- from an on-line dictionary:

(gûrt)
n.1.(Mining) A gutter or channel for water, hewn out of the bottom of a working drift.

Gert
The name Gert is a baby girl name. The name Gert comes from the German origin. In German The meaning of the name Gert is: Diminutive of Gertrude: From the Old German name, meaning strong spear.

So basically, the name means a German girl who uses her spear to dig a channel out of a drift.

PERFECT!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey guys! just wanted you to know that i too am praying for "gurt"! i am so excited for you all on this journey. thanks so much for being real and sharing this experience with me...and everyone else on your blog. i will continue to pray for you guys, and know that you can stay with me when you decide to bring "gurt" to visit mickey mouse!!!

Fred said...

I thought Gurt was a Viking name? Speaking of that (or typing of that) I personally am partial to CONAN... as viking type names go of course..

Actually that may be Austrian..or Yah..or maybe no.

HS said...

Might I suggest Gurt Lougene if it is a girl? Huh!?!? That's pretty right? Possibly Melvy Gurt if it is a little boy? Whatever it's little name and whatever it is, I'm looking forward to seeing it do the dog poop walk like it's momma did. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

this post just brightened my day. whatever child you and ryland get, will be lucky to have you guys as parents. :)

Megan said...

I would be interested in the reserach of changing a toddler's name. Gurt! That made me laugh.