Sunday, June 1, 2008

The End, The Beginning and Everything In Between

It has been nearly a month since I have updated. There have been many things happen in the meantime. I honestly though it had been more like two weeks. Time is seeming to fly by so quickly these days.

First (and possibly best) I was able to end my school year. I hugged my 22 babies goodbye and sent them on to fourth grade. This was without a doubt the most difficult and trying class of my career. I had issue upon issue realted to behavior, learning and just straight up mental illness. I think this class was a turning point for me as a teacher. I would NEVER want to re-live this year but I think this is the year where I learned to meet the needs of every child and do it the right way. I also think I had this class as means to prepare me for our sweet Gurt. Gurt is going to come with issues and baggage. But I think that after this class I feel empowered to tackle whatever may come. I also saw examples of good and bad parenting this year. There are parents who are unwilling to admit their child's imperfections. And just so all of you parents out there know: ALL CHILDREN HAVE THEM!!! YOU ARE NOT A BAD PERSON BECAUSE YOUR KID HAS A FLAW! All that this does is hurt the child. It enables the child to say, " well, I'm hyper today. I have ADD so I am going to choose not to work today." No no no, I say. We ALL deal with something. It may be a headache, it may be grief over the loss of a baby, it may be anything, but you do your job and move on. No loafing. I also saw parents who say, "I know there is a problem. I am going to educate myself on the learning disorder, the disease, or the behavioral problem. I am going to do whatever it takes whether it means going to a doctor, counselor or pastor, whether it means giving up free time, or whether it means giving drugs." I want to be that parent. The one who is realistic. The one who hopes for the best but is willing to put pride aside and deal with what God gives me. Enough of my rant.

One more side note about school: On the last day my students were sitting in a circle and I asked them all to share what they are doing this summer. I got the typical answers. "I'm going fishing. I'm going to Texas. We are taking a cruise." One little girl asked me what I was doing this summer. I thought that it was safe to tell so I said, " I am doing some redecorating at my house this summer. I have to get a crib and a high chair and stuff like that." After some confused looks S.E. (because FERPA doesn't allow me to use names) said, "Mrs. Russell, are you haveing a baby!?!?!?!?!?" I laughed and explained that I was adopting. They were so excited. It was precious. I got the typical 20 questions: Are you adopting from China? Boy or girl? How old? What color? What if it has problems?..... After I had satisfied their questions. This group of eight year olds began to give me parenting advice. " You need to get a girl because girls are smarter than boys." "You need a boy because they can lift heavy stuff." " Boys don't wear dresses and bows, girls are too expensive." " Be careful when you change a boys diaper, sometimes they pee on you." " Girls cry too much." "Boys pee in the shower." (I didn't know this one) They made me promise to bring Gurt to school so that they could meet him. Which I will after I hose the children down with hand sanitizer. They are little germ bags.

Happy news! On Tuesday, May 20 we finished our DHS parenting classes, and on Thursday, May 22, Ryland and I signed our homestudy. We are officially FINISHED!!! We are waiting on a phone call. I am content in knowing that Gurt will come to us in God's perfect timing. Whether it is a month or a year we are thrilled and ready for Gurt to get here. It is insane how quickly four months have passed and we have worked so hard to make sure all things are in order. I hope the next months go quickly and soon Gurt's identity is revealed to us.

Our pastor preached on Hannah this morning and her battle with infertility. It still hurts and there are still moments when the grief still feels so raw. It has been the biggest loss of my life. But God delivered Hannah and gave her Samuel. God blesses Hannah and although she waited for years and was driven to despair by heartbreak, God brought her through that Samuel was something special because of her devotion. I relate to Hannah painfully well. But for the first time in so long, I feel God healing my heart. Even if my deliverance doesn't come in the form of a biological child, God is allowing me that chance to be a mother to Gurt. I will give Gurt to God and there will not be a more grateful mommy out there.

For now I must go. We have a home bible study called, "Men are like Waffles and Women are like Spaghetti." I do love spaghetti.

Prayer Focus:
1) Maggie our caseworker. Pray that God directs her to our Gurt and gets us together.
2) Pray that God lets us have fun together and rest during the summer months.
3) Pray for Gurt. Pray that God keeps him, safe, healthy and happy.

Love you all. I will try to be a better blogger.

Mindy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are SOOOO amazing!!! I have to admit I was getting worried when there weren't any blog updates. I check it daily (& sometimes more). I pray for you all and Gurt. I have a friend that is in similar circumstances and has had a few foster children BUT NO Gurt yet. YOU & SHE are the REAL MOMS of the world. I'm going to tell her about your blog site.
Enjoyed the school stories. WOW how do some kids EVER make it??? Thanks for being one of those dedicated teachers.
Still praying.
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

HI Mindy and Ryland!

I am praying for you guys still. I know God will provide everything you need. He is good and he knowswhat we need he just has this thing about doing things on his own time! lol. I hope you guys are doing well!
Teachers touch lives forever!
Jessica Marshall