Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cousins

Today is one of those days when I am a little wistful and sad.
 
I am the youngest grand-daughter on one side of my family and I am the middle cousin on the other side. I have so many amazing memories with my cousins: matching mullets, rv camping, Christmases sleeping in the same room, four wheeler rides, long afternoons at the creek, sweet conversations and shared memories.
 
Alas, life has happened. We are all grown and spread across the states, and some days I just miss them. I wish we could see each other more. They are some of my favorite people.
 
 My oldest cousin Chris has always been a hero of mine. Heath and Shawn have always cracked me, up their hijinks are legendary. Jennifer has a contagious laugh and gets stuff done! Haley is sentimental and organized always with humor and quick wit. Riann has such a kind, compassionate heart. Emily has a great sense of style and is a fun mom. Danna is my frugal soul-sister and one of my best friends. My girl cousins are an absolutely beautiful group of women. I could write entire blog posts on each of them, but they would kill me. They have threatened. As long as their secrets are safe, then so is my life.
 
The Harmon Cousins
The Clapp Cousins (minus Shawn)


I also get a little sad for my kids. My cousins were close enough in distance that we saw each other weekly if not daily sometimes. God has blessed us tremendously, I am not complaining, I just wish it were possible for Hope and Isaac to see their cousins more often. Their time together is quality, but I selfishly wish there was more quantity. And my goodness, they are cute in a group.
Little Russell cousins.

Nothing like dead fish watching with your cousins.

Cousin breakfast.

I wouldn't change a thing. I know we are right where God has us in this season. But for a few hours I wish I could be in my grandparents Barnsdall homeplaces and laugh with my cousins. I wish my house could be wrecked with the laughter and mess of my kids' cousins. I'm thankful for the role of each of them in our lives. I hope God blesses and keeps them all until the next time we can be together. Which I hope is soon, and more often.



No comments: