Sunday, October 14, 2012

Tunia Turns 2: A Birthday Letter




The day we met.


Hopey Wan-ja-ween Russell,

How is it that 2 years have already happened? How is it possible that my tiny baby is now into full, unquestionable toddlerhood?


My big girl.


2 years ago your daddy and I went to the hospital to meet you and even though I was enduring labor pains I was also smiling. I wanted a daughter so much and I couldn't wait to lay eyes on you. You've never disappointed. Even then you had a mischievous, free-spirited beauty that is magnetic. You make me smile even now. The day you were born ranks with the best days of my life. It is a gift from God that I am celebrating the anniversary of your second birthday- I pray I get to celebrate it with you many, many times in the future.

Little Fashionista.


I think back on this day last year. You were crawling, tiny, not very verbal, and eating baby food. And today you can climb to Bubba's top bunk, while wearing 24month clothes, speaking complete sentences, and have definite preferences in your big girl diet especially "rock-a-roni".

Baby Beauty.


You wear your pretty, baby fine, blonde hair in pigtails most days, you still don't have much hair on top, but no one has ever looked quite as sweet with a baby mullet. And you are very proud of your "tigtails".

First day of school.



You love to watch "Dora the Explorer". In your opinion, there is no other show that is better. We joke about needing to have a Dora-vention because you'd watch all day if we'd let you. Your brother pointed out a bush recently and asked me what I saw under it. You enthusiastically yelled "Swiper!" because he is always lurking in bushes.

You are in your big girl bed and have been for about 2 months now. You have been in trouble only once for playing while you should be sleeping, but you are usually happy to lay down and rest. But only after prayers, hugs, kisses, and a "moochy" shake. You like to sleep with your puppy, Violet, and like the white noise from your giraffe sleep machine. And giggling is usually the last sound I hear you make at night.

Big girl bed.



You have lots of nicknames: Tiki, Tunia, Tot, Sissy, Ladybug, just to name a few. I've heard it said in some random psychological study that people only nickname people that that really love dearly. Well baby girl, you are very loved. No question.



You love your big brother. Whatever he does is cool. Whatever he thinks is cool, is cool. You try do hard to do everything he does. He is so sweet to share with you, and most of the time you two are best buds. You call each other "bubba" and "sis" respectively, and it makes me melt.

Buzz and Baby Buzz.



But sometimes you bite...



I know you'll never remember it but you tend to bite when you are cornered or when someone has something you want. Eek. It makes your momma cringe a little. You haven't done it in several weeks so hopefully the "phase" is over. You've sank your teeth into several little friends at school. ( "I bite Campbell's nose!") Yikes. I've had to bite you a few times and it KILLS me. Please stop. Forever.

You talk like such a big girl. You almost always speak in complete sentences. You also love to sing songs. In the car if there is silence you will yell from the backseat "more songs!" with great passion. You like the songs "Nothing is Impossible" (sangs!!!) and "Baby Bumblebee".

You are showing lots of interest in potty training. I'm in no hurry to walk that road but you seem to like to live life a little ahead of the curve so I'm sure we'll try soon.

You have lots of sweet little friends at church and school. And you talk about them a lot. I see you hug them & try to teach them things at school. I think that you'll be the fun girl everyone loves in a few years.
You are a little bit messy when you eat.

I love that all of life is an adventure for you. You live in fear of missing out and are very adventurous and brave. You do everything full throttle. I love that you have so much passion.


My sweet birthday Tunia.
I am so thankful that God chose to give you to me. You are such an amazingly precious gift, Sissy. You are a sweet little light in a dark world. I'm so proud of how you've grown this year, and as sad as I am that your baby days are over, I am overjoyed at the anticipation of what will be in the next years of your life. There are so many adventures and experiences waiting. I can't wait to share them with you baby!



Happy 2nd birthday dear. Momma loves you more than I could ever tell you. May God bless your life, may you fall deeper in love with him, and may I always point you to him. My prayer for you is that through every milestone and experience, every peak and valley, that you will know God more and more and you will be like him. I'm proud of you Hope. You make my corner of the world so joyful.



All my love,
Momma



My favorite picture of us.

No comments: