Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Baby and My Baby

Almost 18 years ago my neighbors had a little, dark haired, chubby cheeked, ball of fire, and named her Carly.
Somehow they trusted me with her. They let me treat her like my personal baby doll. We did facials, hair-dos, make-up, fingernails, pedicures, watched movies, and hung out. She was the fun little sister I never had.
I grew up and moved to college, she came and visited a few times. (A seven year old in a college dorm? Were her parents crazy?!?!) I always made time for her when I was home, not because I felt obligated or charitable, I genuinely loved this little girl and enjoyed being in her life.
She is hilarious, she sparkles, she's enthusiastic, and ambitious, a tomboy in the body of a baby supermodel. Who wouldn't want to hang out with someone like that?On my wedding day I chose to have Carly be a flower girl. I picked her first thing that morning to go get our hair done. I ended up leaving my veil, changing vehicles, and she had to give an out-of-towner directions to the salon in the big city of Bartlesville. Did I mention she was 10 at the time? She was the last person I hugged and kissed when I got in my getaway car to leave my wedding.
I have done her hair and makeup for approximately 2 proms & 4 homecomings.Needless to say, God didn't give me a sister because he knew I was going to have Carly.
And last night, I watched my little Carly be crowned basketball homecoming queen. And to top it all off, she chose my little boy to carry her crown on his third birthday. It had all come full circle.
Needless to say, there were a few bittersweet tears. Between my long time pseudo sister and my big baby boy I was a little bit of a proud mess.I am so proud of my valedictorian, homecoming queen, short round doodlebug, beautiful, smart, full of potential, precious to me, Carly.
Reach for the stars, baby. You're future is bright.

1 comment:

Aunt Jeana said...

And the rest of the Harmon family also reaped the sweet blessings of the Cassity kids! As the years go by, the memories get sweeter!