Tuesday, February 14, 2012

One Box of Chocolates

Valentines Day is a big deal to some. For me, not so much in this season of my life. It used to mean more- back when there were less demands on my life in the time, financial, and kid departments. I am annoyed by women who demand over-the-top gifts and dates, and judge the health of their relationship by how their spouse/boyfriend "performs" on this one day. I can't speak for everyone, but my "lovah' provides for the needs of my family all year. I think I can give him a break on this day, but I also know that I only need ask and there would be a gift and date. That hubby of mine- he's a good guy all year.


I prefer to practice love year round. Not that there is anything wrong with celebrations and holidays- not judging. I definitely have my occasions that I care more about. For me, the gifts from my sweetheart that are given out of thoughtfulness and "just because" mean much more than obligatory gifts. And right now, my idea of romance is my husband coming home with a pizza, helping me clean, dishwash, and launder the home things, and watching a movie in bed after we put the kids down. Not that I don't love the occasional surprise gift.

When I reflect on Valentines Day growing up, I can vaguely remember a few class parties- like the one in third grade, where a BOY classmate sent me flowers. I wanted TO DIE. It was the most humiliating thing in the universe that a BOY would publicly display his unrequited third grade love for me with flowers. The shame! The horror!

But a recurring memory is of my Grandpa Corky. He always showed up with a heart shaped box of chocolates for me. Being the only granddaughter of his in town, it was a sweet spoiling that my other female cousins didn't get to enjoy. It was a perk of being close. Now that he has been gone for almost 7 years, it makes me a little sad. There is nothing I'd love more on Valentine's Day than for my Pa to show up on my porch, smelling of coffee and cough drops, and drop off one box of chocolates to me. Except that if he did, he'd be a ghost. No bueno. Maybe it is better said that I'd like to relive one of those sweet days from my childhood. Then there are no ghosts involved.......whew........ I feel better now.

To be serious again, I think it meant so much because even as a little child, I knew that it was a "just because" and not an obligation. It is an object lesson in the good gifts that God gives us. God owes a sinner like myself nothing. Yet, he shows up, giving us not only what is necessary, but little blessings just so we know we're a little loved and spoiled.

I was spoiled this Valentine's Day- by God, and by the one he gave me. But I will never think of a box of chocolates without thinking of Pa. And I can't think of Pa without thinking of gifts from God.




*Disclaimer: I don't believe in ghosts. My therapist says I used humor to deflect attention from valid emotions- like sadness. And thinking of Pa makes me little sad. I miss him.

*Disclaimer of my Disclaimer: I don't really have a therapist. But maybe I need one.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

So incredibly well written. If the only love I was shown was on valentine's day, I'd lead a pretty empty life. It's all about the daily small moments of love and affection. Happy V-Day Mindy!