Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Thank You for Taking Care of Mary

During bedtime prayers last night I took a moment and prayed, as I often do, for Isaac's future wife and Hope's future husband- the people they will marry. When I pray with the kids I try to model a conversation with God, and use simple language. I prayed that God would take care of them and protect them until the appointed time.

I didn't really think he was listening because he was fake snoring in order for Ryland and I to kiss him and "wake" him up. He's three- I'm wordy. Sometimes his attention span doesn't last through my prayers and daddy's too.

Then it was Isaac's turn to pray. We had to kiss him awake, of course. He deviated from his regular script.

He said, "Dear-a Jesus, thank you for taking care of Mary, I thank you so much for my mom, my dad, my Hopey, and thank you for loving me. Amen."

His daddy and I were a little confused. I asked him who Mary was. My assumption was Mary, the mother of Jesus- I thought maybe they had talked about her in pre-school.

He said, "a girl, I'm going to marry her and take care of her."

My heart simultaneously bursted and melted. He was listening! And it's stinking adorable that he prayed for his wife. I hope that continues, even if he doesn't fully understand yet.

Then he told me, "Momma, you can sleep in my bed." So sweet, my heart exploded.

Between his silliness and Hope's giggles- I'm a goner.

Even after weeks of cranky sickness, fits, messes, constant chaos, surgeries and just plain HARD moments- I get these sweet little reminders of the gift of my children, and the sweet hope I have for their futures.

I'm a little bit of an over-planning, over-protective, over-analyzing, over-everything momma. I struggle daily, okay hourly, with placing them in God's hands. But the beauty of grace is that they are in his hands whether I choose to place them there or not. I wish it was easier for me to let go and rest in that fact.

As for now- I hope my heart can withstand all the bursting, melting, and exploding that my children cause. I am so grateful for this sweet pre-school season of life. The days are long but the years go fast. May I be conscious and soak it in.

1 comment:

Ashlee Osborn said...

..."the beauty of his grace is that they are in His hands whether I choose to put them there or not." Yes! Good stuff, Mindy. I struggle with that daily, myself.